Actor and speaker
I am too old to give you my life history! However - here is my actor journey in a nutshell
- Shy kid - took up elocution lessons
- Discovered a knack for learning lines and reading out loud
- Started taking first of many LAMDA qualifications
- Joined local Shakespeare Drama Group
- Had various roles over many years
- Did drama at school
- Life took over - no acting
- Started acting again - with good Am Dram societies
- Took the leap into professional acting 1995
- Gained equity card by writing and touring one-woman play
- Started touring with theatre companies and in my own productions
- Relationship with rural touring companies such as Hog the Limelight (Hampshire County Council) - led to being commissioned to write and deliver pieces for libraries and care homes as well as other venues.
- Created a series of one-woman pieces which became very popular on the speaker circuit.
- Worked with excellent Director - Peter John Cooper on a number of plays which have toured nationally.
- Still walk the walk!
In 2002 I consolidated my experience as an actor, speaker and reminiscence facilitator by taking a degree at Bournemouth University - graduating in 2005 with a 2:1 in Communication. I gained valuable experience as a Mentor - both on the PAL scheme (Peer assisted learning) and the Aim Higher scheme (working with students at challenged schools).
I continued to work on a freelance basis for Hampshire County Council - Heritage and Recreation. In addition to shows booked for 'Hog the Limelight' rural touring network and HCC Libraries, I was commissioned to create a reminiscence piece to be delivered in all the HCC care homes. The brief was - something more than a sing-a-long. I delivered! The work I carried out over the next 10 years was challenging and extremely fulfilling. I developed a high level skill of communicating with the elderly with dementia. This requires the ability to build instant trust and use the full spectrum of communication tactics to trigger stories and create a relaxed and enjoyable environment.
During this time I continued my personal development by completing Dementia communication skills training modules. I also delivered training to Hants County Council care home activity organisers. I graduated as a recognised reminiscence facilitator with the European Reminiscence Network
My background as an actor led to me setting up my speaker business. Over the course of 15 years I created 10 'entertaining talks' which have been booked regularly on the speaker circuit - becoming one of the most popular choices for speaker secretaries nationally.
Trisha is one of the most creative, talented, and productively organised people I know.
Artistic Director - AsOne Theatre Company
As an actor my experience is wide-ranging - from fringe theatre and rural touring to one-woman plays and cabaret. The experience of creating engaging content and adapting to so many different venues and audiences has given me invaluable insights to help clients with all aspects of presentation and public speaking.
For the first 10 years of my work life I pursued a career as an account executive in advertising agencies in London and Bournemouth. This experience taught me a great deal about working within a corporate environment with different personalities! It also meant honing my sales techniques and ability to gain new business - relationship building!
All this and more has equipped me well for Communication Coaching. Academic knowledge combined with considerable experience enable me to help individuals work on all aspects of presentation and public speaking skills - finding their own voice and creating impact. I also have a real understanding of what it takes to build instant trust and rapport - a crucial ingredient of influence. The psychology element of my degree - plus my extensive personal research - provides valuable insight for clients who wish to break down all the barriers that occur in communication - including those within their own mind.